Old-Fashioned Pot Roast
October 28, 2022 • 0 comments
This has been Mom's go-to roast recipe for years! It's delicious with any beef roast.
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- 1 beef roast (about 3 pounds)
- 6 T. flour, divided (optional)
- 6 T. butter, divided
- 3 c. hot water
- 2 tsp. beef bouillon granules (optional)
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 celery rib, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Often, Mom will put a frozen roast in right after lunch, and let it cook until supper.
- Can use a 6 qt kettle with lid instead of a Dutch oven.
- The gravy is optional.
Sprinkle the roast with 1 tablespoon flour (optional). In a Dutch oven, brown the roast on all sides in half of the butter. Add the water, bouillon, onion, celery, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for around 2 hours. Add carrots; cover and simmer 45-60 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Remove meat and carrots to a serving platter and keep warm.
Gravy(optional) Strain cooking juices; set aside. In the same Dutch oven, melt remaining 3 T. of butter. Stir in remaining 5 T. flour; cook and stir until bubbly. Add 2 cups of the cooking juices and blend until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened; add additional cooking juices until gravy has desired consistency.